"Batman: The Killing Joke" by Alan Moore


1. What is your reaction to the text you just read?

After having heard so much from this story as one of the best comics depicting the origins of the Joker, it’s great to not have been let down in any way. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Usually I’m not the kind of person to read superhero comics because I’m not too interested in the action scenes. Though I admire the action-packed panels and appreciate it from a visual perspective, I would just rather focus on the characters and their psychology. Luckily, that’s what The Killing Joke focuses on the most! I found the story and the Joker’s conflict to be pretty realistic to a certain point. His ability to go ahead and try to explain his reasoning for becoming the Clown of Crime all come from a man who lost everything. All because of “one bad day”. 


2. What connections did you make with the story? Discuss what elements of the story with which you were able to connect?

It seems as if this is something that would be obvious and that would make sense but I never realized until now how Batman and the Joker are so similar to one another. At least in their origins stories, they both went through traumatic situations that led them to either fight to make the world a better place or to wreck the world because there’s no hope in saving it. Like the Joker says himself, they both had “a  bad day” but it’s what they chose to do after such a day that makes them different. I found such narrative element so meaningful regarding their characters. How one can have so much in common with the person you fight with the most, how maybe if you stopped and listened for a moment you could come to a realization, a connection, a bond. I’ve always known that Batman is a man of reason, but in this particular comic I really enjoyed how he really took the time to be civil with the Joker, even giving him the chance of rehabilitation. Even if Joker declined the offer, it’s a great action to see the differences between two men who have struggled with their lives and who they chose to become after the pain of losing a loved one. This comic also helped me realize how they could even be one another’s doppelgangers. What leads them to connect and clash so much; Simply because they’re one in the same. 


3. What changes would you make to adapt this story into another medium? What medium would you choose; what changes would you make?

My immediate answer would have to be telling the story through the medium of an animated film, which has already been done. The reason why I knew important key scenes of the story prior to reading are definitely from having seen them in the 2016 movie adaptation of the same name. When it comes to the source material, the film did keep the majority of the story intact. However, they changed parts of the narrative by adding a “prologue” that mainly focuses on Barbara Gordon/Batgirl and her relationship with Batman? Why. Just... why?  I personally think such segment in the film to be intrusive and overall unnecessary to the plot. It doesn’t add anything important to the story. Even if they wanted to give Barbara more to her character, it just doesn’t seem to be the appropriate time. To be put before such an important moment between Batman and the Joker. I think if that “prologue” were to be taken out, it will just be a stronger adaptation. Also, though I do like the current look of the film now, I am more inclined to the 1980s look from the original. So if the film could have more of the 1980s noir look that the book also had, that would be a big plus. 

4. In what ways does this story differ from the typical expectations the reader might have for a superhero story?

Once again, I am not a big superhero fan, so I cannot say with clarity that I know what makes a superhero story what it is. However, from what I mentioned earlier, I do believe The Killing Joke focuses more on the psychology of its characters rather than being more action-driven. Yes, there’s things happening on page. But when Commissioner Gordon is being taken on that ride in the freak show, the focus is on what Joker is saying. The audience focuses more on this conversation at the end between Batman and Joker rather than another fight between them. That’s what I, personally, think makes it different from any other superhero I’ve read. 




Comments

Popular Posts