"Uncle Scrooge in Crown of the Mayas" by Carl Barks


I never really grew up with Ducktales, let alone with the Uncle Scrooge comics. However, I must say they were very fun, adventurous, and I would've definitely loved them when I was younger! I appreciate how they gave secondary characters such as Donald Duck, his uncle and his nephews more interesting plots that they can manage on their own. Their character development is much better and I can depend on them to carry the story and give me a good laugh more than once. I really love the whole concept of a comic book full of Uncle Scrooge's adventures, as there's many possibilities for new quests and trouble. It was very wise of Disney comics to take advantage of the new rise of comic books to create stories of this kind to bring a new kind of storytelling format forward for people of all ages to enjoy.  In just around twenty pages, I was able to get an entertaining story that had exposition, rising action, climax, and resolution. Something that is difficult to do with a four-panel comic strip. 

I picked this specific tale about the Mayans because I wanted to know what kind of mission they would have in mind that would involve going to a Latin American country. The story is both informational yet also very silly at times? For example, the Mayan ruins and the myth of its origins seems to be reliable, but during the climax of the scene, where they're left to be stuck in a pool of dark water, they say they're going to starve to death... even though they're ducks... and can fly out of there? Even then, the silliness in moments like these add to the tension and fun of the story. In summary, I really enjoyed it and I cannot wait to read more of them AND most likely watch the show on Disney XD



Comments

Popular Posts