"Blankets" by Craig Thompson | Cartoonist's Track

One of my favorite elements of the book "Blankets" is the dream-like, abstract panels spread throughout the story. More specifically, there's one page where Craig is having what seems to be a nightmare about the toys in the room talking to him, which is what led me to become inspired to illustrate one of my most common nightmares: My childhood home being destroyed by an airplane (and even though I'm not too far from the area of impact, I come out of it unharmed).

I loved the sincerity and vulnerability of the author and his character when it comes to expressing his feelings. It's what's made the story more real and easy to connect to. As someone who uses art to express their inner desires and fears, it was nice to see it as an enhancement to the storytelling. He also did not mind on staying true to the formatting of the graphic novel, making the most "action-packed" panel be without a frame to emphasize its meaning. The overall story in general was very touching and it made me more confident to speak up, or should I say illustrate, how I truly feel and how it's okay to open up about the worst parts in our lives, as a way to liberate ourselves and to connect with others that might feel the same way. 

Comments

  1. Very nice job of using this page from Blankets as an inspiration. I really like how you were able to advance your own story onto the page.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts